Clio Logo
DuPont Historic Village Walking Tour
Item 9 of 10

Currently used as DuPont’s Public works facility as of writing, this building was built to house the towns fire department in the 1950s. It was used as the fire station until 2008 when the new station was built in Northwest Landing. 

Sky, Plant, Tree, Building

In 1924, Company 11 of the DuPont Fire Department was created following a grass fire that was put out by boys in the neighborhood. The department had 11 volunteers whose ages ranged from 7 to 12 with the Fire Chief only being 11 years old. The boys had four hose reel carts stationed strategically around the town. When needed for an emergency, the young men would retrieve a cart from the nearest shed and fight the fire until men working at the plant could arrive and put out the fire.

When the town was incorporated for the second time in 1951 it was still a volunteer department, but it had expanded to 20 men and boys. During the 50s the fire station building was built and would receive additions throughout the years. In 1963, a fire truck was bought for $49,000 and a parking area for it was added to the building. The lunch area on the right of the building was added in the late 70s.

In 2008 the fire department moved to a new building across Center Drive from the 1843 Fort Nisqually Site and the old building was converted to the town’s Public Works facility. In 2022 a new Public Works building was constructed behind the new fire department building. It remains to be seen what will be done with the old fire and public works building. 

Munyan, May. DuPont, the story of a company town. Puyallup, WA. The Valley Press, Inc., 1972.