Clio Logo
Warwood: a Walking Tour of its History and Architecture
Item 19 of 23
Super Bowl V MVP Chuck Howley grew up right here in Warwood! He was born in 1936 and lived at this beautiful Colonial Revival home. Howley garnered national attention as a linebacker for the Chicago Bears and Dallas Cowboys, but he began his football career at Warwood High School and West Virginia University. He remains the only athlete in WVU history to letter in five sports and the only player awarded the Super Bowl MVP from the losing team.

Facing SE, taken Feb 2017, photo courtesy of Christina Rieth

Facing SE, taken Feb 2017, photo courtesy of Christina Rieth

Facing SW, taken Feb 2017, photo courtesy of Christina Rieth

Facing SW, taken Feb 2017, photo courtesy of Christina Rieth
The house was built in 1915 by Michael Stenger, whose father was one of the first to settle in Warwood. Michael and his wife, Anna Martin Stenger, moved to the corner of N. 23rd Street and Hess Avenue shortly after the house’s completion. The house is located in Warwood, Wheeling's northern most neighborhood. the neighborhood is named after Henry Warwood, who founded the Warwood Tool Company in 1854 in Martins Ferry. The company was relocated to Warwood in 1907.

As early as 1795, Thomas Glenn is the first known owner of the land; he bequeathed the land to his son, William, sometime before 1795. Farmers initially settled in the region north of Wheeling for its rich, fertile soil.

Farmland in Warwood made way to industrial and residential development at the turn of the century. Foreseeing the potential of Warwood’s future, R. J. McCullagh founded the Warwood Land Company in 1903. The company sold the lots at a very low price at the time, starting at $300 each. The land was far less susceptible to floods than other parts of Wheeling, and streetcars ran between Warwood and Wheeling every 15 minutes, which became excellent selling points for prospective residents. Working-class families who came to the area sought employment at the industrial plants and built their residences, businesses, and churches nearby. Coal mines were abundant in Warwood, and an oil boom hit Warwood in 1911.

Warwood became an incorporated community on May 26, 1911, and as part of the “Wheeling Greater Movement”, Wheeling annexed the Warwood neighborhood in 1919.

Hinrichs Bissett, Mabel, & Bertha Cupp Jones. "Warwood: a History, 1669-1975." Ernest St. C. Benfield, 1993.
Rieth, Christina. "Warwood: a Walking Tour of its History and Architecture". Wheeling Heritage, 2017.