Art Museum of South Texas
Backstory and Context
Originally housed in the Centennial Museum, the Art Museum of South Texas began in 1945. In the 1960s, the Art Museum had overgrown the confines of the Centennial building, and local philanthropists and civic leaders began efforts to fund a new space for the museum. In October 1972, the current location on Shoreline Boulevard was officially opened to the public. Throughout the 1970s the Museum added several Modernist pieces as well as a collection of work from Dorothy Hood. In 1995, the Museum become officially associated with Texas A&M University - Corpus Cristi. After Dorothy Hood's death in 2001, the Museum acquired much of her estate, including her studio archives. The museum nearly doubled in size in 2006, under the supervision of architect Ricardo Legorreta.
History, Art Museum of South Texas. Accessed October 5th 2020. https://www.artmuseumofsouthtexas.org/about/#1601586008904-4f4ba48d-7f6c.