Clio Logo
Lewisburg, WV Historic Walking Tour
Item 6 of 11
The Lewis Theatre was designed in functional, post-deco style by R.L. Whitten, an architect from Charleston, WV, and was constructed for Sam and Alex Yarid in 1939 for presenting film and “small” vaudeville. This two-story structure was built primarily of hollow, glazed terra cotta block, popular from about 1900 into the 1930s. It had 540 seats downstairs, and 100 seats in the balcony. The street-level front was originally faced at with black Vitrolite slabs, shown in historic photos along with the original marquee.

  • The Lewis Theatre, 2017.
  • Lewis Theatre, 1950. Photo courtesy of Greenbrier Historical Society.
  • Lewis Theatre, 1959. Photo courtesy of Greenbrier Historical Society.
  • Lewis Theatre. Photo courtesy of Greenbrier Historical Society.
The theatre opened in 1939 to Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers in The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle, Jack Oakie and Lucille Ball in the Affairs of Annabel, and on stage, Natchee and his Arizona cowboys.

in 2013 the theatre purchased a digital projector.

The Lewis has operated continuously since it was built, serving the local community and visitors. The building is open a half-hour before films and by appointment. In addition to showing films, the Lewis Theatre features the Trillium Performing Arts Collective as its company in residence.
Greenbrier County Historical archives.