Built for 'Young' Sir John Brownlow and his wife, Alice and their 5 daughters between 1684 to 1688. It passed from the Brownlow family to the National Trust in 1984.
Belton House, south elevation
Backstory and Context
Earl Brownlow owned Belton during WWI. He loaned it to Lord Kitchener as a 12,000 man army camp. from August 1914. In October 1915, it became the headquarters of the Machine Gun Corps.