C.M. Bishop Residence
The C. M. Bishop Residence was built in 1872. The current configuration appears to indicate that there was a major addition at some time since the original construction.
Broad View along High Street (view from southwest to northeast)
Close view along High Street (view from southwest to northeast)
Front view along High Street (view from south to north)
Close view along High Street (view from southeast to northwest)
View of Carriage House on northwest corner of main house (view from southeast to northwest)
West side of house (view from west to east)
Backstory and Context
What is presumed to be the additions are the front two story portico and one story porch. The porch has rounded turrets at each end. The east one is open, while the west one is an enclosed room. On October 5, 1899, a hot water heating system was installed. On November 7 of the same year, Mr. Bishop married Fanny Emma Brown. She insisted her home be called Mortimer Hall, as Mr. Bishop's middle name was Mortimer.
Ward, Bryan. Kingwood Preservation Plan. Morgantown, WV. West Virginia University, 1997. This book was produced by the Eberly College of Arts and Sciences, Institute for the History of Technology and Industrial Archaeology at West Virginia University for Main Street Kingwood. Printed in the United States of America Copyright 1997 Main Street Kingwood. All rights reserved. Cover illustration by Paul Boxley and cover photograph courtesy of W.G. (Bill) Williams. Main Street Kingwood, 101 East Main St., P.O. Box 357, Kingwood, WV 26537