Camden County History Trail
Created in 2019 for Camden County History Month, this trail includes a variety of historical landmarks. You can visit www.camdencountyhistoryweek.com for more information.
Pomona Hall was the 'Big House' of an 18th-century plantation worked by African slaves and indentured European servants. The mansion was built in 1726 and presently is the home of the Camden County Historical Society. The society has restored the building to match its appearance during the American Revolution and operates a small regional history museum and archive in the building.
Visit our baroque-style century-old church designed by renowned architect George I Lovatt, containing magnificent stained glass windows, Polish-inspired elements and nearly 100 relics, including one of St John Paul II.
The Camden Shipyard and Maritime Museum is dedicated to preserving the city’s shipbuilding legacy. It opened in 2016 in a converted, historic former church building, after years of planning and fundraising. The museum features exhibits on the maritime and shipbuilding history of Camden. One exhibit explores the life of African American Arctic explorer Matthew Henson due to his interesting connection with the church building. The museum also includes the Waterfront South Artist Residency, a program designed to support artists working on beautification projects in the Waterfront South neighborhood.
The Battleship New Jersey Museum was developed to preserve the famous USS New Jersey at its permanent resting place in Camden, New Jersey. The Iowa-class battleship was introduced during World War II and also saw action in the Korean War, the Vietnam War, and the Lebanese Civil War. With a total of 19 battle and campaign stars, it is the most decorated battle ship in the U.S. Navy’s history. The New Jersey was decommissioned for the final time in 1991. In 2000 the ship was moved to Camden and converted into a floating museum. Today the ship remains open to the public and offers interactive tours, meeting spaces, educational programs, and overnight stays. It is on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Walt Whitman House is a historical home and museum in Camden, New Jersey. The house was occupied by the famous poet Walt Whitman during the final years of his life, from 1884-1892; it was the only home he ever owned. Whitman is considered one of the greatest American poets of the nineteenth century, and is most notable for his work Leaves of Grass. In the years following his death many efforts were made to preserve the house as a monument to Whitman. The Walt Whitman Association was instrumental in purchasing and preserving the home, as well as gather Whitman’s personal possessions to furnish it. The house has since been restored to match its exact appearance when Walt Whitman lived in it. Today the home is operated as a museum by the New Jersey Division of Parks and Forestry, and is open to the public for guided tours. It has been designated a New Jersey State Historic Site and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Colonial homestead of Morgan family from 1693, following marriage of Welsh mariner Griffith Morgan to Elizabeth Ibbs Cole, widow of Samuel Cole. Saved from demolition in 1971, carefully restored and interpreted by volunteer Griffith Morgan Committee, NJ and National Register of Historic Places 1973, house features beautiful cooking hearth, museum of local history on third floor, living history events and special exhibits.
Burrough-Dover House was built in 1710 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973. The Pennsauken Historical Society is working to preserve and restore the house. The basement contains a collection of Native American and colonial artifacts and a nature trail.
Indian King Tavern Museum’s more than 270 year-old historic building is New Jersey’s first state-owned historic site (1903). It’s where New Jersey completed the transition from colony to State passing laws revising election procedures, creating township governments, and setting up state courts. At the Indian King, the assembly passed measures imposing martial law, strengthening the militia, regulating a war economy, and providing emergency support to the Continental Army after its defeat at Brandywine.
The Magnolia Historical Train Station Museum and Library is a replica depot built in 2000. It is operated as a museum by the Magnolia Historical Society, which formed in 1991. Efforts to build a replica station started in 1995. The museum holds documents, photographs, maps, ledgers and other materials related to the history of Magnolia.
The Gabreil Daveis Tavern House was built in 1756 and served as an integral Gloucester Township community focal point for over a decade. It also served as a field hospital during the Revolutionary War and has been inhabited by both Revolutionary and Civil War veterans since. The Georgian style home now serves the community as a historic house museum, giving people a glimpse into the life of how a middle-class colonial family lived along the banks of Big Timber Creek. The Gabreil Daveis Tavern House has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1977.
The Borough of Laurel Springs is located in Southern New Jersey about 14 miles from the Walt Whitman Bridge that connects Philadelphia to New Jersey. Its main roads were once the only way from Philadelphia to the shore and many people stopped and stayed in Laurel Springs instead of continuing on south. Walt Whitman frequently visited here and the Borough maintains two Whitman historic sites. Whitman Walk at Crystal Springs takes visitors along the path of Whitman’s Timber Creek days highlighted in “Specimen Days”. The other, The Whitman Stafford Farmhouse, circa 1785 has been lovingly restored and also exhibits the Borough’s colonial history.
Built in 1856, the Long-A-Coming Depot/Berlin Railroad Station is the oldest existing railroad station in New Jersey.