Historic Sidewalk Clock
Backstory and Context
Jeweler Julius H. Alberts was the last owner of the clock. It is not clear who was the first was but apparently it changed hands a few times before coming into Albert's possession. In 1929, he donated it to the city, which moved moved it around to a few locations downtown over the years. After several decades, the clock was in need of serious repair. A clock company restored it in 2005. The clock still operates today using its original gears.
For a long time, beginning in the 1860s, public clocks were common throughout the country. Not only did they tell the time, businesses often used them to advertise themselves. Typically, businesses would buy and install them in front of their building, and paint the business name on the clock. The E. Howard & Company was one of the largest clock manufacturers in the country.
Bryson, Conrey. "San Jacinto clock back in place." El Paso Times. October 28, 1973. https://elpasotimes.typepad.com/morgue/2008/06/san-jacinto-clo.html.
"Historic Sidewalk Clock." The Historical Marker Database. Accessed September 12, 2019. https://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=37801.
The Historical Marker Database