Clio Logo

Nathan Wuertenberg's Favorite Entries

Saint Thomas' Episcopal Church

Constructed in 1835 to serve the Episcopalian community of Hancock, Maryland, Saint Thomas’ is believed to have been patterned after the original Emmanuel Church of Cumberland, Maryland, which was demolished in 1851. The resemblance of the two buildings is likely due to the leadership of the pastor of the Cumberland church who also served as the interim minister for Hancock in the years prior to Saint Thomas’ construction. During the American Civil War, Federal troops utilized the Church as a hospital for their wounded, and women from the congregation and larger town cared for sick and injured soldiers in the nave and rectory. It was also during that conflict that the church became a target for the ire of Confederate General Stonewall Jackson, who shelled the building and other areas of the town from January 5-6, 1862 in his attempt to cross the nearby Potomac River as part of his Romney Expedition. Visitors are welcome to view the church and learn more about its history when it is open on Sundays for weekly religious services and throughout the week upon request.

Tonoloway Primitive Baptist Church

Located on Thompson Road less than a mile from the Mason-Dixon Line in Needmore, Pennsylvania, Tonoloway Primitive Baptist Church is the oldest church in Fulton County, Pennsylvania and the tenth oldest Baptist church in the United States. Construction began on the current brick structure in 1829, almost fifty years after the congregation’s original establishment in the area. Prior to that time, congregants met in an 18’x22’ log building built in 1752. The congregation’s first minister during that period was the Reverend Joseph Powell, a delegate to the Pennsylvania Constitutional Conventions from Bedford County in 1777 and 1790, as well as to the Pennsylvania Ratifying Convention of 1787. Powell’s gravesite is located in the church’s cemetery nearby. The building is also notable for its use by Federal troops as a hospital after the January 1862 Battle of Hancock, and the signatures of wounded Union soldiers can still be seen on the walls of the church’s interior. By the mid-twentieth century, the church had fallen into disuse and the building itself had fallen into disrepair. So, in 1979, after the organization of the Friends of Tonoloway Church, fundraising began for the site’s restoration, which began over a decade later in the 1990s. Church services are currently held on two occasions every spring and fall, once on the third Sunday of May and again on the first Sunday in October.

Saint Thomas' Episcopal Church

Constructed in 1835 to serve the Episcopalian community of Hancock, Maryland, Saint Thomas’ is believed to have been patterned after the original Emmanuel Church of Cumberland, Maryland, which was demolished in 1851. The resemblance of the two buildings is likely due to the leadership of the pastor of the Cumberland church who also served as the interim minister for Hancock in the years prior to Saint Thomas’ construction. During the American Civil War, Federal troops utilized the Church as a hospital for their wounded, and women from the congregation and larger town cared for sick and injured soldiers in the nave and rectory. It was also during that conflict that the church became a target for the ire of Confederate General Stonewall Jackson, who shelled the building and other areas of the town from January 5-6, 1862 in his attempt to cross the nearby Potomac River as part of his Romney Expedition. Visitors are welcome to view the church and learn more about its history when it is open on Sundays for weekly religious services and throughout the week upon request.

Woodmont Lodge and Woodmont Natural Resources Management Area

Situated in an elbow of the Potomac River on 3,500 acres of forested hills near the town of Hancock, Maryland, the Woodmont Natural Resources Management Area (NRMA) was for over a century the property of the Woodmont Rod & Gun Club. The club was founded in 1870 and operated as a hunting lodge for America’s rich and famous. The organization hosted a veritable bevy of D.C. dignitaries, Hollywood celebrities, and legendary athletes in the early 20th century. The club was formed after a chance encounter on a D.C. streetcar between U.S. Rear Admiral Robley Evans and Southern aristocrat Robert Lee Hill. The club was later purchased by a group of wealthy sportsmen led by local Hancock industrialist Henry Bridges in 1908. The Woodmont Rod & Gun Club remained in operation until the land’s sale to the Maryland Department of Natural Resources in the 1990s. Six U.S. presidents, the comedy duo Amos & Andy, Babe Ruth, and Richard Mellon were all guests at Woodmont during their time hunting the surrounding forests. The club’s adoption of an ambitious, extensive, and largely successful wildlife preservation program under the guidance of majority shareholder Henry Bridges after 1908 has also contributed to a thriving local ecosystem in the present day. Now operated as part of Fort Frederick State Park, two thousand acres of what is now the Woodmont NRMA are open to the public year-round. The Woodmont Chapter of the Izaak Walton League of America utilizes the remainder from October 1st to March 31st for hunting season but opens it for public use for the rest of the year. The Maryland State Parks System hosts a variety of events throughout the year, and generally opens the former Woodmont hunting lodge once a year in September.

Woodmont Lodge and Woodmont Natural Resources Management Area

Situated in an elbow of the Potomac River on 3,500 acres of forested hills near the town of Hancock, Maryland, the Woodmont Natural Resources Management Area (NRMA) was for over a century the property of the Woodmont Rod & Gun Club. The club was founded in 1870 and operated as a hunting lodge for America’s rich and famous. The organization hosted a veritable bevy of D.C. dignitaries, Hollywood celebrities, and legendary athletes in the early 20th century. The club was formed after a chance encounter on a D.C. streetcar between U.S. Rear Admiral Robley Evans and Southern aristocrat Robert Lee Hill. The club was later purchased by a group of wealthy sportsmen led by local Hancock industrialist Henry Bridges in 1908. The Woodmont Rod & Gun Club remained in operation until the land’s sale to the Maryland Department of Natural Resources in the 1990s. Six U.S. presidents, the comedy duo Amos & Andy, Babe Ruth, and Richard Mellon were all guests at Woodmont during their time hunting the surrounding forests. The club’s adoption of an ambitious, extensive, and largely successful wildlife preservation program under the guidance of majority shareholder Henry Bridges after 1908 has also contributed to a thriving local ecosystem in the present day. Now operated as part of Fort Frederick State Park, two thousand acres of what is now the Woodmont NRMA are open to the public year-round. The Woodmont Chapter of the Izaak Walton League of America utilizes the remainder from October 1st to March 31st for hunting season but opens it for public use for the rest of the year. The Maryland State Parks System hosts a variety of events throughout the year, and generally opens the former Woodmont hunting lodge once a year in September.

Woodmont Lodge and Woodmont Natural Resources Management Area

Situated in an elbow of the Potomac River on 3,500 acres of forested hills near the town of Hancock, Maryland, the Woodmont Natural Resources Management Area (NRMA) was for over a century the property of the Woodmont Rod & Gun Club. The club was founded in 1870 and operated as a hunting lodge for America’s rich and famous. The organization hosted a veritable bevy of D.C. dignitaries, Hollywood celebrities, and legendary athletes in the early 20th century. The club was formed after a chance encounter on a D.C. streetcar between U.S. Rear Admiral Robley Evans and Southern aristocrat Robert Lee Hill. The club was later purchased by a group of wealthy sportsmen led by local Hancock industrialist Henry Bridges in 1908. The Woodmont Rod & Gun Club remained in operation until the land’s sale to the Maryland Department of Natural Resources in the 1990s. Six U.S. presidents, the comedy duo Amos & Andy, Babe Ruth, and Richard Mellon were all guests at Woodmont during their time hunting the surrounding forests. The club’s adoption of an ambitious, extensive, and largely successful wildlife preservation program under the guidance of majority shareholder Henry Bridges after 1908 has also contributed to a thriving local ecosystem in the present day. Now operated as part of Fort Frederick State Park, two thousand acres of what is now the Woodmont NRMA are open to the public year-round. The Woodmont Chapter of the Izaak Walton League of America utilizes the remainder from October 1st to March 31st for hunting season but opens it for public use for the rest of the year. The Maryland State Parks System hosts a variety of events throughout the year, and generally opens the former Woodmont hunting lodge once a year in September.

John Herbert Quick House and Coolfont Resort

Originally opened in 1965 by D.C. businessman Sam Ashelman, the former Coolfont Resort brought many visitors to Berkeley Springs with the majority of guests arriving from the Washington D.C. area. Ashelman acquired the original building that served as the center of the resort in 1913. The building's name is a reference to the previous owner, early twentieth-century author John Herbert Quick. The resort was known as Coolfont, the name of the nearby springs. Ashelman preserved the original John Herbert Quick home which has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1984. He also built a collection of rustic cabins and other outbuildings around the Quick House for the use of guests. During its time in operation from 1965 to 2006, Coolfont hosted a number of prominent guests including Al and Tipper Gore following his election as Vice President of the United States. For a short time, the resort was in the headlines after Gore reportedly became lost within the neighboring woods. The Ashelman family sold Coolfont in 2005 to real estate developer Carl M. Freeman Companies. The company planned to upgrade the resort prior to its CEO’s death in a helicopter crash the following year. In 2014, after years of deterioration, the company sold some of the resort buildings for timber and then sold the property at auction. The core parcels of the former resort were acquired by Berkeley Springs Development LLC. The new owner plans to reopen the former resort in 2019.

Franklin County Courthouse

Built in the Greek Revival architectural style which flourished in the United States in the mid-nineteenth century, Franklin County Courthouse was completed in 1865 and incorporates portions of the previous courthouse that stood at this location and was burned by Confederate raiders under Brigadier General John A. McCausland on July 30, 1864. The courthouse is located just to the east of Memorial Square at the intersection of US-30 and US-11 in downtown Chambersburg and is the third county courthouse that has stood at this site. Because it includes structural elements from the second courthouse built in 1842 and attempted to replicate its basic features, the current Franklin County Courthouse of 1865 is a uniquely visible example of the change in architectural tastes from the Greek Revival to Victorian periods. The courthouse also stands as a testament to the experiences of the lone northern community to be destroyed by Confederate troops during the American Civil War, an event that spurred a nationwide aid campaign in response and resulted in the reconstruction of much of the original core of the town. The current courthouse houses the 39th Judicial District Court of Common Pleas for Franklin and Fulton Counties and is open from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM from Monday to Friday unless it is a county holiday.

Chambersburg Heritage Center and Old Valley National Bank Building

The Chambersburg Heritage Center on Memorial Square in the historic Valley National Bank Building provides educational resources on the history of Chambersburg, Pennsylvania and the surrounding area of Franklin County. The Chambersburg Chamber of Commerce opened the center five years after the Chambersburg Area Development Corporation purchased the building on its behalf in 1999. The center houses a gift shop, children’s activity room, and exhibits on the frontier history, architectural history, transportation history, and Civil War history of the city. While the center may be a cornerstone of the historical community in Chambersburg, the building itself is also of significance as the work of Frank Furness, an architect whose designs have become widely celebrated in the last few decades. The Chambersburg Heritage Center is open year-round from Monday to Friday, 8 AM to 5 PM, and on Saturdays, 10 AM to 3 PM, May to October. The center can also provide guided walking tours upon advance request.

Chambersburg Heritage Center and Old Valley National Bank Building

The Chambersburg Heritage Center on Memorial Square in the historic Valley National Bank Building provides educational resources on the history of Chambersburg, Pennsylvania and the surrounding area of Franklin County. The Chambersburg Chamber of Commerce opened the center five years after the Chambersburg Area Development Corporation purchased the building on its behalf in 1999. The center houses a gift shop, children’s activity room, and exhibits on the frontier history, architectural history, transportation history, and Civil War history of the city. While the center may be a cornerstone of the historical community in Chambersburg, the building itself is also of significance as the work of Frank Furness, an architect whose designs have become widely celebrated in the last few decades. The Chambersburg Heritage Center is open year-round from Monday to Friday, 8 AM to 5 PM, and on Saturdays, 10 AM to 3 PM, May to October. The center can also provide guided walking tours upon advance request.