Tuckahoe Train Station, Tuckahoe, NJ 08250
Tuckahoe Station - north face
Engine #306 at the Tuckahoe Station in about 1905
Tuckahoe Train Station Pumphouse (now gone) @1910.
Tuckahoe Train Station not long after its construction @ 1899
West Jersey line engine along Commonwealth Avenue in Strathmere. 1905
Engine and Train crew at the Tuckahoe station@1905
Backstory and Context
In the 1890's the West Jersey and Seashore railroad, opened by the Pennsylvania Railroad, and the Atlantic City Railroad, owned by the Philadelphia and reading railway, offered competing service from, Camden to southern New Jersey seashore resorts. The first railroad line through Upper Township was completed in 1863, and the station at Tuckahoe was built over 30 years later in 1894.
In 1933 the two railroads consolidated to form the Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines. Tuckahoe served as the junction of the Ocean City and Cape May branches.
Passenger Service stopped in 1981 and soon after, freight service halted in 1983 except for the transport of coal and then oil to the power plant at beesley's Point. which lasted until May, 2019.
The current Cape May Seashore Lines was founded in 1984 by Tony Macri.
In 1984, the Tuckahoe Train station was placed on the State and National Register for Historic Places, but afterward fell into a condition of disrepair. However, the building was restored to its original appearance in 2001 and is now the headquarters of the Historical Preservation Society of Upper Township.
'The gardens that once enhanced the grounds were established as an Eagle Scout Project in 2003. Today, the township maintains the building and the grounds.
The station is now a centerpiece for local township history and the location of the Santa Express Train rides at Christmas.
HPSUT tri-fold information pamphlet, dated 2018
Upper Township and Its Ten Villages by Robert F. Holden, published 2/4/2020
Photo courtesy of Larry Sharp whose grandfather, Alfred Atwood Sharp was the conductor.