Hillgreen, Lane & Company
Hillgreen, Lane & Company, ca. late 1960s
Electronic Circuits & Design located at 170 E. Market Street
Backstory and Context
County tax records indicate this building was built in 1892. It was originally occupied by the Alliance Building Company, then in 1893 it became the home of the Alliance Pant Company. When the pants company burned out in 1899, the building was rebuilt and Hillgreen, Lane & Company moved there in 1900.
Hillgreen, Lane & Co. was a pipe organ company, founded in 1898 by Alfred Hillgreen and Charles Alva Lane. Their first organ was sold and installed in the nearby First Methodist Church (now Christ United Methodist) located at E. Broadway Street and Linden Avenue. The church was dedicated in 1899.
According to Eric Johannessen, the building is one of the better examples of late nineteenth century factory architecture. Hillgreen, Lane operated until 1972. After that, the building was occupied by several businesses up until the mid-1990s, including Electronic Circuit & Design. It is now owned by the Alliance Land Reutilization Corp.
Johannesen, Eric. Selected landmark architecture of Alliance, Ohio. Alliance, OH. Alliance Historical Society, 1971.