Marshall County Courthouse
The Marshall County Courthouse was built in 1872, becoming the second the courthouse building for the county. The first was burned down by Union troops in 1864.
Backstory and Context
The courthouse is the second built for the county. The first, a wood-frame structure, was built in 1837 but was burned down by Union troops in 1864 during the Civil War. Construction of the present courthouse did not begin until 1870. It originally had arched windows on the second floor (see image of postcard below) and was expanded in 1926 to include wings on the west and east sides. Elements of the Colonial Revival architectural style were added to the building as well. The rest of the historic district includes several commercial buildings immediately surrounding the courthouse square. Most of them date to the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
Gold, Jack A. "Holly Springs Courthouse Square Historic District." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. January 20, 1980. https://npgallery.nps.gov/GetAsset/2310ac50-b8ed-4325-8ad7-a30185d96056.