Gilmore Car Museum
Founded in 1966, the Gilmore Car Museum is home to over 300 vintage and historical automobiles and motorcycles spread over its 90 acre campus. Its numerous buildings house various and changing exhibits and events. Gilmore also offers tours, educational opportunities, and an after school enrichment program.
Backstory and Context
The Gilmore Car Museum is spread out over a dozen buildings, to include the Gilmore Heritage Center that houses the main exhibit galleries, a research library, a theater and a café. Also contained within the campus is the largest known gallery devoted to the Model A Ford, a Cadillac-LaSalle Museum, a 1930s era Shell gas station, and authentic 1941 working diner called the Blue Moon, and a recreated 1918 car dealership.
Other points of interest include a Lincoln Museum; the Steam Barn, which reveals the early history of the automobile from the days of the horseless carriage through 1915; and a replica train depot. Some current and past exhibits include the vehicles of the 1930s Dustbowl, called the Great Migration; American Legends: Hot Rods and Customs; and Mid-Century Performance, which features rare performance cars of the 1960s and 70s.
Featured cars at the Gilmore include a 1916 Packard Twin Six Racer, a futuristic (for the times) 1948 Tucker Sedan, a 1958 Edsel Pacer, and the last off the assembly line 1982 Checker taxi cab. The museum also offers a Model T driving school for those interested in what it was like to drive a Tin Lizzy.