Robert Mable House
The Robert Mable House is a historic residential building in Mableton, Georgia. It is listed on the National Register of Historical Places. The facility is under lease to the Cobb County Board of Commissioners and is operated as part of the Cobb County Parks, Recreation and Cultural Affairs Department. It is open for tours and hosts field trips.
Backstory and Context
Robert Mable (1803-1885) was born in Scottland and immigrated to Savannah, Georgia. Mable purchased 300 arches of land when he heard of the Georgia Gold Land Lottery of 1832. He and his family lived in a log cabin until 1843 when he built a sawmill and began construction of a plantation plain house. The cabin became the location of the first school in Mableton. The Mable House was used by Union troops during the Civil War as a field hospital, where soldiers were cared for by Mrs. Mable.
The Georgia Pacific Railroad received land from Robert Mable. When the depot was built, the the station was named "Mableton" after the Mable family. In 1912, Mableton became a city; it unincorporated after four years.
Located in south Cobb County, the Mable House Complex includes the Arts Center, Barnes Amphitheatre and historic Mable House property. The complex offers gallery exhibitions, theatre productions, concerts, field trips, summer camps, tours and meeting space (for non-profit, arts-related organizations).