Tampa Federal Courthouse
Tampa Federal Courthouse as it looks today
Backstory and Context
Constructed between 1902 and 1905, the former Tampa (Florida) Federal Courthouse was designed by James Knox Taylor, the Supervising Architect of the United States Treasury in Washington, D.C. who designed hundreds of public buildings. A Beaux Arts-style building reflecting the classic roots of early twentieth century architecture, the structure was originally built to house the post office and customs house for the growing city and port of Tampa. An addition constructed in 1931 completely occupied all space within the property lines at the rear of the building. In 1984 the property was converted for use as a federal courthouse and was occupied by the courts until 1998. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1974, the building was transferred to the City of Tampa through the Historic Surplus Property Program in 2003. A developer entered into a long-term lease arrangement with the city and rehabilitated the property using historic tax credits; it was opened as a hotel in 2014 and has served as a major catalyst for redevelopment in Tampa’s downtown core.