Clio Logo

The first stone building in Stevens, as Tyler was called in the early days, was this store erected by Henry Boston which opened on December 8, 1881.


  • Henry Boston's general store and Stevens Post Office
  • The building still stands today

The first stone building in Stevens, as Tyler was called in the early days, was this store erected by Henry Boston. The Northern Pacific Railway Company laid track in May 1881, and Mr. Boston saw an opportunity for business in the new community. His store opened on December 8, 1881. The handful of residents gathered there later that month for a Christmas celebration.

Prior to his venture in Stevens, Henry Boston had operated a store serving travelers along the Lake Road in the area that would later become Marshall.

While at Stevens, Mr. Boston served as Postmaster and Justice of the Peace.

The store faced what was the main street of Stevens/Tyler and the Northern Pacific Railroad tracks. The other stores, hotel, and lumber yard along the street are all gone now. The building is still standing, used as storage by its owner.

 

Northwest Tribune 1881, 1882
0