United Lutheran Church (Grand Forks, North Dakota)
United Lutheran came to existence in 1926 after three of Grand Forks's Lutheran synods (congregations) decided to come together. After series of these congregations splitting apart, others banding together or minor ones existing based on ethnic backgrounds, it was announced, over the radio, that all Lutheran congregations would come together. A church building was then needed to hold them all. This building was constructed in 1932. The building was lucky to survive the 1997 Red River flood largely intact. The church is still active today.
Backstory and Context
In 1918, Trinity and Zion merged as Bethany Lutheran, where they met in Zion's church building. In 1936 Bethany merged with First Lutheran, thus becoming the United Lutheran Church of Grand Forks. In September of 1927, the installation of Rev. Ingvoldstad was broadcast over the radio, initiating one of the longest radio ministries in the country, continuing to this day.
Construction for a new church building to house all three united synods began in 1931 under the direction of regionally famous Joseph Bell DeRemer and his son, Samuel. The building was finished in 1932. Throughout the 1960s, the church saw extensive additions and renovations made. Following the 1997 Red River flood, the church had to once again be restored, having been damaged, yet not enough to warrant demolishment.