Joseph B. and Elizabeth Shultz House/Evert House Hotel
Joseph and Elizabeth Shultz built this structure in 1853. At that time, this was the first house erected after the platting of the town of Medaryville. The home served as both the Shultz's home and as a boarding house until it was purchased by the town's first doctor, William T. Elston, in 1857. In 1880 Elston's heirs sold it to local builder Michael Tetzloff, who converted the structure into a hotel, which he sold to Gustav Evert, at which time it became the town's primary commercial lodging house. After Evert's death, the home served as a rooming house until the 1950s. The home is now a private residence.
Backstory and Context
The Evert House figured prominently in the history of Medaryville during the town's heyday, and many mentions of it can be found in local newspapers of the day. For example, Abraham Lincoln's funeral train stopped in front of the house on the morning of May 1, 1865. On that day, a large crowd, including many of whom had traveled a considerable distance, turned out to greet the fallen leader.