Revolutionary War Office
This historic building holds tremendous significance to Connecticut's history and the history of the American Revolution. It was here that Governor Johnathan Trumbull oversaw matters pertaining to the Revolutionary War as well as his personal business. It is located just up the road from his house, which is a National Historic Landmark (see the link below to Trumbull House on Clio). The War Office was built around 1732 by Jonathan's father, Joseph, who was also a merchant. Well over one thousand meetings of the War Council of Connecticut, which was also called the Council of Safety, met here during the conflict. It was formed to assist the governor when the state assembly was not in session.
Backstory and Context
Councils met in the War Office from 1775-1783. Governor Trumbull was often called on to supply the Continental Army with food and other provisions. In fact, For much of the 19th century, the War Office was abandoned and fell into disrepair. The Connecticut Society of the Sons of the American Revolution acquired it in 1891 and has been open to the public ever since.
"Trumbull War Office." Connecticut Society of the Sons of the American Revolution. Accessed January 29, 2019.
Photo: Wikimedia Commons