Union School / Park Street School
This etching of the first school built at N. Park and Washington appeared in McKee's 1868 Business Directory
Mabel Hartzell taught first grade in 1899 at North Park School, built in 1892
Demolition of North Park School in 1964
All that remains of the North Park School are the cement steps
Backstory and Context
A large Union School with two-stories and six rooms was built on the southwest corner of N. Park Avenue and Washington Street in 1856. It began the new era in the Alliance public school system. In 1867, 625 pupils attended the school. Many notable meetings were held here, one of which was addressed by James A. Garfield. The building was used until 1892, when it was razed. for the building of North Park School, otherwise known as Building No. 1.
Mabel Hartzell taught first grade in the North Park School in 1899. The same plans for this building were used for North Franklin School. This building was partially destroyed by fire in 1942, and remained here until it was demolished in August 1964. All that remains of the school grounds are the cement steps that led up to the school's sidewalk.
McKee, Stuart G.. A business directory of the city of Alliance, for 1868. Alliance, OH. Monitor Power Press, 1868.
McKee, Stuart G.. McKee Business Directory, Alliance Memory. Accessed August 15th 2020. https://www.alliancememory.org/digital/collection/p16335coll2/id/414.
Photo taken by Alliance Historical Society, 2020