Tanner Cheese Company / Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne & Chicago Railroad
User Uploaded Audio
Carl Tanner & Co. Cheese Factory
Carl Tanner and later Bud Twyman were manufacturers of Swiss cheese
Photo by David R. E. Hunt, December 18, 2006
Backstory and Context
Carl Tanner and Company ran wholesale and retail cheese businesses on this site, and Arnold Tanner was the third generation of the family to conduct the business. The former Tanner Cheese Company building that used to sit here was constructed in 1880. Before it was a cheese house, it served as a planing mill in the 1880s. The business was sold to Bud Twyman in 1973 and was called Carl Tanner and Co. and Twyman Cheese Company until the mid-1980s. The building was purchased by Buddy Bolog of US Coach Tours in 2012 and torn down and salvaged in 2016.
The PITTSBURGH, FORT WAYNE & CHICAGO RAILROAD was known originally as the Ohio & Pennsylvania Railroad. It is a major east-west rail line today. Service between Alliance and Pittsburgh began in January 1852. By 1865, the line was running four trains daily each way through Alliance. It took just over 17 hours to go from Alliance to Chicago. A few years later it would become part of the Pennsylvania Railroad operations.