Backstory and Context
Local architect and builder Benjamin Franklin Liddon designed the theater (and other buildings in the city) in the classical architectural style, which is somewhat rare in the region. Liddon operated this and a number of other theaters in the state, opening the first one in 1913. The Coliseum was the largest theater in North Mississippi when it was built. Inside, it features an elaborate interior with plaster and white marble. Interestingly, Liddon installed 999 seats to prevent having to pay movie royalties for theaters with 1,000 seats. He later installed the first air conditioning system in the city in 1932. In these early years, a number famous entertainers and musicians performed at the theater. The Liddon family owned it until 1977. In the 1980s, the theater was restored. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places 1980.
"Coliseum Theatre." Cinema Treasures. Accessed Decemer 24, 2020. http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/8806.
"Coliseum Theatre, Corinth." Preservation in Mississippi. Accessed December 24, 2020. https://misspreservation.com/101-mississippi-places-to-see-before-you-die/coliseum-theatre-corinth.
Williams Jr., Mrs. H.L. & Johnston, George. "Coliseum Theatre." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. August 21, 1980. https://npgallery.nps.gov/GetAsset/7e5f46a8-56ba-43d7-9327-999b61b88ba0.
All images via Cinema Treasures: http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/8806/photos