Backstory and Context
In 1886, where Dainty Pastry stands today, was the site of Latrobe's Methodist Episcopal Church. Between 1886 and 1922 many different businesses, including a flour and feed store from 1903-1909, occupied the building. On December 22, 1922 the lot was sold to Theron Smith. Until the year 1952, Smith ran an auto repair shop there, and lived above the garage of the business.
In 1952, Smith finally took down the old church building on site. Following the tear down of the church building, the structure that currently stands was erected. It is unclear when it was built exactly, however based on an ad from the 1954 Latrobean, it was presumably constructed by Theron Smith between the years of 1952-1954.
Dainty Pastry was started by Latrobe resident Robert Colaianne during the 1940s. The business was originally housed at 223 Main Street until it moved to 806 Ligonier Street in 1952. On July 1st, 1975, Smith sold the lot and his building on Depot Street to Robert and Juanita Colaianne. Shortly after the sale they moved their bakery in. To this day, 339 Depot Street in the heart of Downtown Latrobe continues to be the home of Dainty Pastry.