Clio Logo
Berkeley Springs and the Town of Bath Historic District Walking Tour
Item 1 of 10

Located in Berkeley Springs, West Virginia, this train depot is a rectangular one-story Mission Revival architectural style that was constructed in 1915.


  • Berkeley Springs Train Depot
  • Postcard of the Berkeley Springs Train Depot

The Berkeley Springs Train Depot was built in 1915 by the B&O Railroad, which was used to transport produce and pulpwood, as well as passengers. The Berkeley Springs Depot is the only one of its style still standing in Morgan County, West Virginia. The famous healing waters of Berkeley Springs drove people into the area and the community began asking the B&O to built a railroad through town to make access easier for visiting tourists. The first station was built in the town in the late 1880s and was made of wood, but in 1915 the present Mission Revival building replaced the old depot.1

The Berkeley Springs Train Depot served the community until 1935 when the B&O terminated all passenger services; the train depot still remained its freight shipping. The B&O sold the depot to the town of Berkeley Springs in 1968.1

As of April 2015, renovations have begun on the roof of the Berkeley Springs Train Depot. Those working on the  renovation  are hoping to retain most of the  original  tiles of the roof so that the historical aspect of the train depot remains in tact.2


1. http://www.wvculture.org/shpo/nr/pdf/morgan/00001313.pdf 2. http://townofbath.org/progress-of-the-train-depot-roof/