Clio Logo
Entries on This Tour

This Tour is a Virtual Museum or Site Tour.

Old Garrison

Created by Jennifer Burden on July 9th 2020, 8:51:12 pm.

The Old Garrison was the last fort erected within the city of Franklin’s domain. Built in 1796, this fort was unostentatious, being described as a “strong log house”. While commanding perhaps the best view of the nearby Allegheny River and French Creek out of all the forts made to overlook the waterways, the times of war and uprisings were past. American troops were removed from the Old Garrison in 1799, but the people of Venango County used the structure as a jail from 1805-1819. The construction of a new jail meant the Old Garrison was allowed to dilapidate, and now the site is underwater.